Read a bit more on the topic of nootropics.
Image via Wikipedia In Humankind's never-ending quest to transcend its own limitations, nootropic drugs for cognitive enhancement, anti-aging (longevity), and even altered or multidimensional perception have appeared to be the natural accelerants of choice.
Going further, there are many who believe that in escaping the anchor of the perceived limitations of the "standard-issue" mind, virtually every aspect of the body and soul will naturally follow. I don't choose to make any judgment as to the truth of this assumption, or to the sequence of causes and events which lead to the sentient process, but as a long-time proponent of accelerated learning for self-growth and professional development, the expansion of the mind's abilities would seem to be a desirable thing.
Since the workings of the mind and the brain (with its hormones, neurotransmitters, and unarguably complex electrochemistry) are still largely a mystery, any mind-altering substance also works in a mysterious fashion. There is a great deal of trial and error here -- read some of the Erowid Drug Vault postings on Google -- and the idea is to try to find several things:
1) The mechanism by which a nootropic drug works (its mechanism of action, as well as its side-effects, both fortuitous and unfortunate);
2) The means by which it can be modified or compounded to maximize its benefits and minimize its poisonous or potentially pernicious side effects and inadvertant contraindications.
3) The most efficient means of delivery, so that the desirable effects can be achieved or maximized at the lowest possible dosage (remember the expression, "The toxicity is in the dose"?). Many nootropics are consumed orally so that the stomach's digestive action renders them ineffective before they can even enter the bloodstream. Other methods of administration including injection, transdermal, sublingual and even rectal have been used in order to simply get the substance into the blood stream before it has been altered to ineffectiveness by the digestive and other natural bodily processes;
4) The most efficient means of catalysis (i.e., taking the nootropic in combination with other substances) to assist in getting the greatest amount of the useful, undigested nootropic "essence" across the blood-brain barrier, which is the greatest challenge of all. The neural connections of the brain are where the payload of the nootropic must make their 'surgical strike'.
5) An objective means of determining to what extent nootropic efficiency (i.e., penetration of the blood-brain barrier) has been achieved. This is, at present, a guess at best. It is further complicated by the lack of objectivity in the anectotal reports of persons observing the effect upon themselves when these drugs are used.
Certain substances seem to have an ease of crossing the barrier, and one school of thought has it that these substances (we'll call them "carrying agents" here) can help clear a path for a more efficient barrier crossing for the more stubborn nootropic. Some of these carrying agents, such as ethanol, have a toxicity potential that far outweighs their benefit as barrier breakers.
You might wish to research the following possible carrying agents for your study (academic or experimental) in terms of their potential to be reasonably effective but non-toxic drones for the delivery of any given (or chosen) nootropic payload into the neuronal headquarters (Q: Is this ongoing metaphor business as annoying to you as it is to me?):
Article Title: Nootropics: Crossing The Blood-Brain Barrier
IMPORTANT TIP: LIFE EXTENSION AND ENHANCEMENT
Make The MOST Out Of This Resource…
Hint: Don’t just look at the posts! ---
1) Go directly to the actual site at http://lifeextensionquality.blogspot.com,
2) Scroll about (down and around) and explore the entire blog and,
3) Look through the constantly – updated RESOURCE AND RESEARCH SECTION.
You'll find fabulous information about your particular areas of interest.
LIFE EXTENSION AND ENHANCEMENT by Douglas E Castle
NOTICE: This article is Copyright © 2011 by author Douglas E Castle with all rights reserved. It may be republished without permission provided that it is published in full, with all hyperlinks and exhibits left intact, and with full attribution given the author. This article does not contain or constitute medical, health, psychological, legal, regulatory, investment, securities, financial, tax, or any other form of professional advice -- the reader acknowledges and accepts this disclaimer. Further, the reader indemnifies and holds harmless both the author and all publications in which this article appears of any damages, claims, loss, responsibility or liability emerging from the reader’s utilization of any information contained herein.
About This Author: Further information regarding this author’s professional experience, expertise and service offerings can be found at ABOUT DOUGLAS E CASTLE
Other Blogs And RSS Feeds By This Author: A comprehensive list of blogs and RSS feeds on various subjects written or moderated by Douglas E Castle may be found by clicking on the orange icon below.
This Blog Is Powered By TNNWC Group, LLC ™
Contact This Author Directly: Click HERE for an instant pop-up form.
You may follow Douglas E Castle on TWITTER
The author highly recommends that each of his respected readers becomes Pinglerized (a Lingovation™) in order to maximize SEO, search engine ranking, and to exponentially increase both unique visitors and recurring traffic to your website or blog. Leverage this wonderful technology.
The author wishes to thank the following resource providers:
Article Tags, Keywords, Labels, Categories and Terms: B-6, cognitive enhancement, Douglas E Castle, Google, Health, Life extension, Natural resource, Niacin, Nootropic, RSS, TNNWC, vinpocetine, carrying agents, Erowid, Braintenance Blog, self-growth, immortality, blood-brain barrier, defining intelligence, anecdotal reports versus scientific evidence, empiricism, telomeric shortening, Ward Dean,
We are a collaborative entrepreneurial, creative organization offering you hands-on, personalized assistance in every aspect of achieving your monetization, profitability and financial sustainability objectives, domestically and globally.
We don’t just coach you or offer you pre-packaged, push-button solutions – we listen to you, analyze your exact needs, and work within your budget to: 1) create your tool kit and 2) work as your partner to implement your plan by supporting you in the most efficient and productive use of every tool.
Visit our website, which is located at http://www.TNNWC.com .
To receive our newsletters, publications, information bulletins and alerts, simply join us as a Member. Membership is free and the benefits are unequalled anywhere.
Just go to our home page, and click on the “JOIN US” button.
Capital, Traffic Building, International Customers and unique SERVICES.
The National Networker Publications™ produced by TNNWC Group, LLC