The National Networker Weekly Newsletter and The BLUE TUESDAY Report are TNNWC Publications Geared Toward Early-Stage Enterprises.

Logo Designed by Penny Ng. All rights reserved.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

MY LESSON FROM TNNW - HUMANITY IS THE KEY

Dear Readers:

Yesterday, in three separate discussions with three different colleagues, the same topic came up. I would hazard a guess that this particular topic is going to come up more frequently in conversations on a regular basis.

The crux of these discussions can be distilled into a single question and a few observations:

"What are we actually doing, and where are we actually heading with all of this "Networking" stuff?"

"It seems as if the noise level is increasing, yet I'm hearing less and less; It seems as if I am being bombarded with messages and requests, but I can't seem to focus on any single one of them; I thought that this e-media and social media networking technology was going to make my life easier -- now I literally spend hours and hours every single day just doing 'techno-chores'...reading emails, deleting spam, responding to emails, posting on a whole bunch of groups, jumping from Facebook to Linked In to Twitter, text-messaging, iPhoning, shooting out rapid-fire messages that are becoming more and more like apologies - 'I've been too busy to talk with you or meet with you. I'm booked.'

I have a rapidly growing number of contacts to keep up with, yet I know less and less about each of them personally. I don't "know them" at all; I send them emails and get autoresponder "out of office" messages back; the tiny percentage of those that I've actually spoken with on the phone with is shrinking; the even tinier percentage of those I've met is shrinking even more quickly.

The most pathetic thing is that I still do most of my business with a small number of personal, time-tested associates. They feel like friends to me. Despite all of this technology, people are getting ruder, more impersonal. What a paradox! It seems as if I'm suffocating and falling behind. It seems as if nobody has any compassion or humor left. It seems that people have lost the joy in the art of conversation.

I am on a treadmill, surrounded by strangers. I am working harder and accomplishing less. With all of this networking, it seems that I don't have time to actually close any business. I feel increasingly friendless...increasingly lost.

Please help me. I'm drowning in buzzwords, keywords, adwords and a sensorial bombardment that is destroying the quality of my life. I can't even hear my own thoughts. I can't get a grip on my own feelings. It's as if I were living in a constant state of crisis. I don't know any of my neighbors. I'm forgetting about common courtesies, like asking about people's kids, or their health.

Could we go out to the diner? Maybe we can talk about our families, or music or art, or even philosophy? Please?
*****

My friend, Adam J. Kovitz, hinted at this some time ago when he started discussing his notion of Relationship Capital. He believes, as I do, that people are beginning to crave real interpersonal bonding; real spiritual communion; real trust and meaningful friendship; deeper communication and cooperation; more of a celebration of individuality, of quirkiness, of the differences that make us special and interesting to know. WE NEED TO BRING SOME HUMANITY BACK INTO NETWORKING, OR NO BUSINESS IS GOING TO HAPPEN!

I have a few goals to share with you -- and I dedicate this to all of my family members and precious friends (whom I've been 'just too busy' to call), and to every Subscriber, Member, Sponsor, Author and Advertiser in THE NATIONAL NETWORKER (TNNW), to all of my blog readers, followers, mentors, teachers, comrades-in-arms, comrades-in-chains and ukelele players:

1. I am going to become a person again.

2. I am going to take breaks from work now and again in order to enjoy this world and this life.

3. I am re-dedicating myself to doing everything in my power, and within my ability, to make sure that THE NATIONAL NETWORKER stays HUMAN, and PERSONAL...that we make every single effort to be a community of friends, business associates and individuals -- each special. We have to listen and to help instead of simply talking and promoting.

I have discovered a secret: In these times, business success is dependent not only upon competence and mutual needs -- it is, more than ever, dependent upon our being good friends, and having good friends.

Faithfully, and extending my hand in friendship, I am

Douglas Castle


THE NATIONAL NETWORKER (TNNW):
PRESS OUR BUTTONS & CLICK OUR LINKS...
Subscribe to THE NATIONAL NETWORKER
Link To THE NATIONAL NETWORKER
The NATIONAL NETWORKER Toolkit
TNNW WEBSITE
THE GLOBAL FUTURIST
THE INTERNATIONALIST PAGE
ACCESS: Douglas Castle
BRAINTENANCE


2 comments:

Christine Sotmary said...

Does this mean we can go back to having our breakfasts before kickboxing on Wednesdays? I would like that. Welcome back to the human race Douglas. It's the only place to find hugs.

Douglas Castle said...

Ah, yes! To be Human again. Networking is merely a tool ...a means to an end. The ultimate objective is to establish relationships and friendships that are enjoyable and profitable.

Christine - Thank you for being who you are.

Always,

Douglas

p.s. I owe you breakfast.